Superintendent: Bonnie Ahrens
4-H or FFA Members Only
The Goal of the Commercial Meat Doe Show is to give interested Johnson County 4-H and FFA Youth Exhibitors an opportunity to showcase quality meat goats without the cost involved in joining a Purebred Registry. Learning to manage meat goats will give young people an opportunity to meet a growing market niche, as this alternative protein source is highly prized by many ethnic cultures in the U.S. today.
Commercial Meat Does are Purebred and Crossbred Goats that are of such high quality they are kept by the owner and used for Breeding in a Commercial Herd. They must exhibit the primary traits associated with meat goat breeds including: Boer, Kiko, Pygmy, Spanish, and Myotonic (Fainting Goat) breeds.
- Goats are subject to inspection by show officials.
- Goats must not be registered with any breed association.
- Goats with horns must have them tipped, no sharp points.
- Goats will be shown well groomed with hair trimmed in a neat manner but not shorn or clipped close to the body.
- If more than ten (10) Goats enter the show the entries will be sorted by weight and split as evenly as possible into classes.
- All female Market Goats are allowed to enter the Commercial Meat Doe Class with the stipulation that those which are shown in both classes will earn premium points for which ever class they place highest.
- Commercial Meat Does Under 1 year of age
- Commercial Meat Does Over 1 year of age
- Classes – Ribbons
- Grand and Reserve Champion – Rosette and Sponsored Prize