Qualifications & Rules
- The Purpose of the Johnson County Youth Talent Contest is to discover, develop, and encourage talent in the youth of Arkansas. It is designed primarily for amateur talent, but any act which qualifies otherwise is eligible even if the act received pay at some time EXCEPT where the person(s) are actually engaged in the entertainment business or paid instructors of the Arts. Acts that may be considered professional should be brought to the attention of the Johnson County Youth Talent Director. The State Competitive Events Administrator and the State Youth Talent Director will determine the contestant’s eligibility. Their decision will be FINAL.
- Contestants that our competing in the Youth Talent Contest, must at least be 10 years of age and not more than 21 years by the opening day of the Arkansas State Fair (October 12, 2017). Any contestant appearing younger or older than the age limits specified should be prepared to furnish proof of age to the County contest Director. Anyone under 10 years of age, will have to compete in the Future Star Contest. This portion of competition does not go to the Arkansas State Fair.
- Contestants must be a legal resident of the State of Arkansas. In the event a contestant legally resides in one county but is attending school in a different county in Arkansas, the contestant may compete at the county level in only one of these two counties. Contestants must not have ever been convicted of any crime or have any criminal charges pending.
- In the event a county winner is unable to compete at the State contest (October 12-22, 2017), county contest officials can send a runner-up to represent the Johnson County Fair.
- NO contestant will be allowed to compete in more than two categories.
- Contestants are required to be on time for all rehearsals and contests. Absent or tardy contestants are subject to disqualification, at the discretion of the county contest director and state contest director.
- Entry forms must be legible and signed by each of the following: (1) contestants(s); (2) contestant’s parent or legal guardian. Act of 5 or more contestants can designate one responsible adult for the group to sign the entry form.
- Any display of poor sportsmanship and/or unbecoming conduct, any interference and/or disturbance, or any other behavioral problems created by a contestant, parent, relative, or even a supporter of a contestant could result in disqualification of the contestant not only from this year’s competition but also from future participation.
- Any inappropriate lyrics of a song in the vocal and variety categories or inappropriate moves in the dance and variety categories will result in immediate disqualification of the contestant not only from this year’s competition but also from future participation.
- No decorative or background props of any kind will be allowed. A prop must be used as a functional part of the contestant’s act. Questionable props must be discussed and approved by the county director and/or state director.
- THE COUNTY DIRECTOR AND/OR STATE FAIR MANAGEMENT OF THE ARKANSAS STATE FAIR YOUTH TALENT CONTEST RESERVES THE FINAL AND ABSOLUTE RIGHT TO INTERPRET THESE RULES AND ARBITRARILY SETTLE AND DETERMINE ALL MATTERS, QUESTIONS AND DIFFERENCES IN REGARD THERETO, OR OTHERWISE ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH, OR INCIDENT TO THE CONTEST, AND THE RIGHT TO AMEND OR ADD TO THE RULES AS THEIR JUDGMENT MAY DETERMINE. ANY CONTESTANT THAT FAILS TO ABIDE BY THE ABOVE RULES WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
Contestants may obtain entry forms online or in person and/or ask questions by contacting the county director (Joanie Liles), by phone 479-774-5252 and/or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also find forms at the Johnson County Chamber of Commerce.
Length of Performance
Any act must not exceed the 3.0 minute time limit (including recorded introduction). CD accompaniment is also subject to the same 3.0 minute time limit. All acts are limited to a 1-minute time limit in setting up equipment. NO EXCEPTIONS!
Setups and performances will be timed.
There are six (6) categories in the Johnson County/Arkansas Youth Talent Contest. Competing acts must qualify by one of the following category descriptions:
- Vocal Solo shall consist only of a vocal performance by one vocalist. No other talent may be performed in conjunction with the vocal solo. CD’s used for accompaniment will be allowed to provide limited vocal background.
- Vocal Group shall consist of two and/or no more than fifteen vocalists. No other talent may be performed in conjunction with the vocal group. CD’s used for accompaniment will be allowed to provide limited vocal background.
- Instrumental solo shall consist of an instrumental performance without vocal utterance by one performer. Taped accompaniment may be used. The contestant is encouraged to memorize their piece rather than use sheet music on stage. An electric key board will be provided by the Johnson County Fair for instrumental solo contestants. No piano is available. NO DRUMS.
- Dance Solo shall consist of one dancer. No other talent may be displayed in conjunction with the dance performance. All types of dancing will be judged in this category – tap, jazz, ballet, folk, ethnic, fad, etc. Gymnastics, tumbling, acrobatics, or any other form of gymnastics is not included in this category. However a dance routine can include a maximum of two gymnastic or acrobatic stunts.
- Dance Group shall consist of two and/or no more than fifteen dancers. No other talent may be displayed in conjunction with the dance performance. The same rules listed under Dance Solo apply.
- Variety shall consist of a performance of one and/or no more than fifteen people. This category is intended to provide a proper showcase for those acts in which multiple talents are displayed. Acts that fit the description of any other category will not be allowed to compete in this category. The following acts qualify for this category: song and dance, vocal and live instrumental, lip sync, pantomimes, impersonations, skits, jugging, ventriloquism, magic, and any other talent not applicable to any other categories. No act may include drum set(s). No baton acts are included in this category.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE RIGHT CATEGORY ON THE ENTRY FORM
Future Star Talent Contest
This under 10 years of age contest is an open category (any talent), where contestants can get stage experience and showcase their talents.
Instruments and Music Accompaniment
An electronic keyboard is provided (not a piano) on stage and adequate plug-ins for electric instruments are available. Professional sound equipment including CD player and microphones are provided, and their use is required. No personal CD players or microphones will be allowed. Any act which includes self-accompaniment will be considered a multiple talent and must be entered in the Variety Category. Musical accompaniment for any act must be recorded. Contestants must furnish their own CD’s, which must contain only the music needed for performance and must not be longer than 3.0 minutes. Any act who’s CD contains more than the music needed for their performance will be automatically disqualified. It is recommended you bring a second CD to have in case of an emergency. All CD’s must be properly cued in advance and should be of good quality. All CD’s should be clearly marked with contestant(s) name, county represented, time of tape, and music title. All CD’s must be claimed at the sound table immediately following the contest. The Johnson County Fair Junior Youth Talent Contest assumes no responsibility for CD’s left unclaimed.
Dressing and Backstage
The dress code is a must. Contestant’s dress must be in good taste and suitable for performance (Sunday best). All acts will be judged on talent, appearance, preparedness and entertainment value. All contestants’ appearance and talent packages are subject to approval of the County Contest Director. Dressing areas are provided for contestants who will perform in costume.
CONTESTANT(S) AND A CHAPERONE WILL BE ALLOWED BACKSTAGE
FAILURE TO ABIDE BY COMPETITION RULES MAY RESULT IN CONTESTANT DISQUALIFICATION.